Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Orthodox hymnody

[For the Sunday of the Last Judgment. Via Mere Comments.]

Thy judgement is without respect of persons; no cunning argument or skill in eloquence can deceive Thy judgement-seat; false witnesses cannot pervert Thy sentence. For in Thy sight, O God, every secret stands revealed.

Alas, black soul! How long wilt thou continue in evil? How long wilt thou lie in idleness? Why dost thou not think of the fearful hour of death? Why dost thou not tremble at the dread judgement-seat of the Saviour? What defence wilt thou make, or what wilt thou answer? Thy works will be there to accuse thee; thine actions will reproach thee and condemn thee. O my soul, the time is near at hand; make haste before it is too late, and cry aloud in faith: I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned against Thee; but I know Thy love for man and Thy compassion. O Good Shepherd, deprive me not of a place at Thy right hand in Thy great mercy.