Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Recently

As some of you may know, I am not Orthodox; nonetheless, I created this blog a few years ago to share the luminous treasures that I have found in my reading and in my reverently tentative exploration of holy Orthodoxy.

Recently (this past Friday night), I had the immense joy of attending an Akathist and Little Compline service at an Antiochene Orthodox church some five miles from where I live. To say that it was an hour well spent is an understatement!

The inexhaustible poetry and richness of the Akathist, the beautiful solemnity of the Compline prayers, the loveliness of the church -- I marvel.

It was my first time in an Orthodox church while public prayer was taking place. I hope and pray that it will not be my last!

To those of you who are reading this post, I ask for your prayers. I may be firmly ensconced in my baptismal Roman Catholicism, but my profound respect for the traditions and the liturgies of  holy Orthodoxy has increased immeasurably with this recent visit to the church nearby. Visiting an Orthodox church was something I had wanted to do for over 15 years.

Thank you all. Blessings and peace!